PD-SGS TEV PD Detector
Handheld Switchgear Partial Discharge Detector
The PD-SGS is a dual transducer PD detector for Switchgear. The instrument detects TEV signals generated by internal discharge, as well as acoustic discharge generated by surface tracking or corona.
- Measurement of TEV signals generated by internal PD
- Ultrasonic detection of surface PD activity
- Automatic Background Noise Detection
- Level Mode and Trend Mode
- Bright OLED screen display with dB readings
- Audible output through headphones or built in speaker
TEV – PD Detection
Partial discharge activity inside metal clad high voltage plant induces small voltage impulses called Transient Earth Voltages on the surface of the metal panels. TEVs travel around the surface to the outside of the switchgear where they can be picked up externally using capacitively coupled transducers.
AE – PD Detection
Defects on the surface of high voltage insulators are prone to a phenomenon called ‘tracking’. Tracking causes carbon deposits to build up over time and ultimately leads to flashover and insulation failure. The PD-SGS is highly sensitive to the ultrasonic emissions produced by tracking and enables any on-set to be detected before insulation failure occurs.
Advantages of the PD-SGS
- Rapidly survey whole substation – and detect MV and HV problems before they occur
- Personnel Safety Device – ensure the substation is clear of PD before conducting work
- Hear the PD – only instrument available that allows the user to hear both ultrasonic and TEV PD activity
- Ensure accurate results - Auto alert when the system is detection Noise instead of real PD
- Ergonomic and compact design – fits in the user’s pocket and Is easy to use
- Long lasting battery – allowing a whole day of testing without requiring a recharge
Accessories: Ultrasonic Parabolic Dish
The Parabolic Reflector is an ultrasonic sensor for use when detecting partial discharge activity on exposed insulating surfaces. The reflector increases the sensitivity of the sensor allowing detection to be effective at up to 25m. It is commonly used in outdoor switchyards to detect surface discharge on string and post insulators, sealing ends and other exposed equipment.
PD-SGS in action: